Eighteen candidates are running for a state officer position to represent more than 8,850 Kansas FFA members for the 2015-2016 term. Throughout the week, candidates will complete an intense process of interviews, tests and public speaking demonstrations as part of the 87th Kansas FFA State Convention on the Kansas State University campus.
An appointed nominating committee of former state officers and agricultural education instructors interviews the candidates. On Friday, May 29, the committee will submit its nomination of 10 candidates to the state convention delegates, which consists of two members from each of the 176 chapters in the state. After hearing the candidates present a final prepared speech, the delegates will elect the six members who will serve as the 2015-2016 state officer team. The new team will be announced and installed at the final session of the convention Friday afternoon.
The committee evaluates the candidates on their applications, a written test, writing exercises, and five rounds of interviews. These include one-on-one interviews, delivering a speech, facilitating a workshop, round-robin interviews and a personal interview round.
Once elected, the officers will travel across the state promoting agricultural science education and FFA.
- Mikala Bradbury, Wellington FFA
- Lane Coberly, Chapman FFA
- Danielle Comstock, Fredonia FFA
- Bailey Corwine, West Franklin FFA
- Kaysha Elmenhorst, Marmaton Valley
- Hannah Fry, Fort Scott FFA
- Gabryelle Gilliam, Washington County FFA
- Jerica Hall, Cherryvale FFA
- Christina Hoffman, Chapman FFA
- Dean Klahr, Holton FFA
- Kyler Langvardt, Chapman FFA
- Kevin Lewis, Centre FFA
- Lane Nichols, Minneapolis FFA
- Bailey Peterson, Buhler FFA
- Sarah Plum, Sabetha FFA
- Lacy Pitts, Buhler FFA
- Baylee Siemens, Buhler FFA
- Karl Wilhelm, Holton FFA